Can Invisalign Correct Overbite and Bite Issues For Teens?
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment for adults in Columbia because of how it can treat overbite and bite issues. That being said, there’s no doubt that teenagers find this treatment appealing too, but is this Invisalign teen treatment option also effective for individuals their age? Keep reading to find out!
What is an Overbite?
What is the difference between a simple overbite and an excessively deep bite?
According to the American Dental Association, there is an estimated 70 percent of dental issues in teenagers, most of which are overbite-related.
Everyone more or less has an overbite, and a typical one has less than 3mm of space between the upper and lower teeth when the jaw is naturally closed. If the overbite has about three to five millimeters of space between the teeth, then that calls for orthodontic treatment already. A deep bite has more than five millimeters of space.
So what is the cause behind overbites and deep bites? There are various factors, such as small lower jaws, thumb-sucking, or using a pacifier up to or past the age of three. Some teenagers have a habit of thrusting their tongues against their teeth during their younger years. These behaviors can also impact teeth and jaw development and can worsen an overbite.
An overbite can cause teeth misalignment, meaning that the teeth rub or press against each other while chewing. The friction generated can wear down the teenager’s teeth much faster, which leads to cavities and tooth loss as time goes by. The misalignment can also bring jaw pain, making eating more difficult, especially with hard foods.
Is Invisalign Teen a Good Option?
Yes! Invisalign is a great option for teenagers. It has been proven that Invisalign can work to shape teenagers’ smiles. Invisalign teen uses a specific type of tray made to fit these adolescents way better. Invisalign treatment for teenagers often usually goes smoother than adults because they can easily adapt to having the trays in their mouth and not constantly removing them. Invisalign teen is also just as effective as braces for treating teens with underbite, crowding, overbite, and gaps in between teeth.
Here are some reasons why Invisalign teen is an amazing option to treat your teen’s overbite or other dental issues.
- It is less painful and more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Invisalign teen is removable, which means that it is easier for teens to brush their teeth properly and maintain their oral hygiene.
- They get fewer cavities! Invisalign makes it easier for teens to prevent cavities.
- Invisalign teen is effective for growing mouths. Your orthodontist can assemble a custom plan to make your teen’s Invisalign treatment adapt to them and help them attain a perfect smile.
- There are fewer dental visits! It’s understandable it’s not every teenager’s favorite activity to visit the orthodontic clinic. Invisalign teen requires fewer visits and appointments than braces.
- It is safer for athletes. If your teenager is active and plays sports, they don’t have to worry about activity-related mouth injuries because Invisalign teen is less likely to give them that due to its material and the ability to remove them.
- Your teenager doesn’t have food restrictions, unlike braces. Invisalign teen aligners should be worn about 20-22 hours a day, and they can just take them out to have a sweet treat every now and then.
- No need to deal with emergency appointments for broken brackets or wires.
- It can boost your teenager’s confidence! Invisalign teen is discreet and can make your teenager feel more confident in smiling.
How Invisalign Teen Can Fix an Overbite
The main reason why a lot of patients find Invisalign teen appealing is its discreetness and absence of bulky hardware. Even though it’s not completely invisible, Invisalign teen is much less noticeable in the mouth compared to metal braces, and a lot find it more comfortable, too.
Invisalign aligners are uniquely made, and the removable trays are worn for at least 20 to 22 hours every day. The aligners are changed weekly or biweekly for a new set. Each Invisalign teen aligners differ a bit from the ones worn before.
Your orthodontist adjusts your trays in a subtle manner, increasing the amount of force placed on your teeth. The pressure gradually increases as treatment progress, shifting teeth into proper alignment and correcting your teenager’s bite over time.
How Long Does it Take to Correct an Overbite with Invisalign Teen?
Similar to traditional braces, the amount of time it takes for Invisalign teen to work depends on the condition of the teen’s teeth, the severity of their overbite, and how much work is required to achieve alignment. Here’s what you need to know:
- According to Invisalign, teens should expect to wear their aligners for anywhere from six months to 2 years
- If your teenager takes out their aligners for more than 2 hours every day, then their treatment plan can prolong since they will have to wear them for a longer period of time. Aligners must be taken out before eating meals and brushing and flossing teeth. Additionally, the Invisalign teen aligners should be worn overnight
- Once the Invisalign teen treatment is finished, they have to continue to wear a retainer to ensure their teeth stay in place.
Invisalign Teen in South Carolina
Pitner Orthodontics is the leading provider of Invisalign in Columbia, Chapin, and Downtown, South Carolina. Dr. Leslie Pitner is a board-certified orthodontist with over 15 years of experience.
Dr. Pitner can help your teenager achieve a perfectly-aligned smile with Invisalign teen in as little as six months to a year.
If your teenager wants to fix their teeth alignment with Invisalign, it’s time to schedule a consultation with Dr. Pitner today! During your consultation, we will discuss your treatment options and help you choose the best one for you.